There are many conflicting information reporting the different dates at which Oroquieta was made the capital city of the province of Misamis Occidental. However, it has been reported as early as in the year 1929 that the choice to make Oroquieta the capital , was made. Around the same year Richard Paradies was the reported first Municipal President of Misamis. During that time, Misamis was divided into two provinces - Misamis Occidental and Misamis Oriental, resulting in Oroquieta being the capital of Misamis Occidental.
In 1942, reports showed that Oroquieta was "made the capital of the free Philippines." It was during this time that a historical event took place when three prominent leaders of the Philippines (namely: the late President Manuel Quezon, Sergio Osmena, Sr., and Andres Soriano, Sr.), landed in Oroquieta following evacuation from Corregidor to Australia.
On January 1, 1930, Oroquieta officially became the Capital of Misamis Occidental. Then on June 21, 1969, Republic Act No. 5518 was passed to convert Oroquieta into a chartered city. On June 25, 1969 the charter became official at the signing of Republic Act No. 5518 by the former President Marcos and witnessed by the city’s first Mayor, Ciriano C. Pastrano, his newly elected councilors and other city officials. The inauguration was held on January 1, 1970 which was officiated by the former Congressman William Chiongbian and former Governor Henry Y. Regalado with the first City Mayor, Ciriano C. Pastrano.